School year 2001- 2002
- Two students have been recognized as National Merit Scholar Finalists.
- Four seniors were named State of Iowa Scholars by the Iowa College Student Aid Committee.
- One Upper School student qualified as a Presidential Scholar and was invited to Washington D.C.
- Nine Maharishi Upper School student s received 29 awards at the Academic Decathlon regional competition taking second place overall in the state in the small school division. A Maharishi School student won 2nd place overall at state, and she will
go on to the National competition in Florida in June to represent the state of Iowa.
- At the Iowa High School Speech Association Large Group All-State Competition, Maharishi School continued its winning tradition this year taking home Critic's Choice awards for Reader's Theater and Group Mime.
- First Place at the Iowa State Science Fair, Senior Division. The students went on to win 4th place at the International Competition. Their project a machine called the altebine with a turbine that created electricity from ocean current.
- Continuing Maharishi School's winning tradition in the Junior Science fair. This year 8th grade students won the grand prize and first place in the Biological, Physical and Team categories.
- At the International Photo Imaging Education Association competition (PIEA) a Maharishi School ninth grade student won first place for her color photograph and another student won second place for her black-and-white photograph.
- Nine First Place awards were received for photography at the Iowa Educational Media Association competition.
- At the 20th Annual Texas A & M Commerce National High School Shootout a Maharishi School student won second place in color photography.
- In music, four students represented Maharishi School at the OPUS State Honor Choir, and two students were in the All-State Strings Orchestra.
- In the Iowa Poetry Association contest, a Maharishi School student was given First Honorable Mention, placing 4th out of 353 entries in the state.
- A Middle School student was chosen as one of the top ten poets in a five state regional competition.
- Seven Maharishi Middle School students won awards for their projects at District History Day sponsored by the Southern Prairie Area Education Agency, and qualified to display their work at the State History Day competition in Des Moines.
- The End School Violence Now (ESVN) and Students Creating Peace Network (SCPN) has given presentations on radio stations, participated in Youth Development in the 21st Century sponsored by the 4-H clubs of America, and given presentations to guests
of the School.
The students have given presentations at the St.Louis Enlightened Sentencing Project Graduation. They were invited to represent Southeast Iowa at the Youth Development in the 21st Century Conference at Iowa State University in Ames, and invited to
Expo High School in Waterloo, Iowa. They were also invited to the kick-off event for the Season of Non-Violence in Los Angeles where they spoke to educators, parents and the event organizers. While in Los Angeles a presentation was given at a South
Los Angeles alternative High School. All the events met with great success.
The students are working on a student-to-student video, a web site, and other projects to bring 8,000 Yogic Flyers to Maharishi University of Management and Maharishi Vedic City.
- Maharishi Upper School students again scored in the 99th percentile in the Iowa Test of Educational Development both nationally and in Iowa. This is the 6th year in a row that we have accomplished this.
- Three of our seniors have been named Commended Scholars in the National Merit Scholarship competition. This brings our all time total of students recognized in this competition to 45.
- At the Eastern Iowa Science and Engineering Fair, Senior Division, a Maharishi School student won First Place and went on to compete at the International Science and Engineering Fair in Detroit.
- At the Junior Division fair all 20 Maharishi School students who entered the competition won awards. Of the 15 first place awards, 9 were won by Maharishi School students.
- At the State History Fair, a Maharishi School student placed first in the Individual Documentary category.
- At the Math Counts Regional Competition a team of four eighth grade students won first place in the team division and a Maharishi School student won the individual math competition.
- At the Iowa High School Speech Association Large Group All-State Competition, Maharishi School once again won the Critics Choice award for the Outstanding Choral Reading. This is the first time any school has won this banner three years in a row.
Maharishi School has won more Critics Choice awards in the past decade than any other school in the state.
- At the Regional Destination Imagination competition this year, all 15 teams from Maharishi School were chosen to go on to compete at the State level This is largest number of entries from our School to compete at the State level. Last year four
teams of Maharishi School students placed in the top 10 at the Global Finals placing 1st, 2nd, and 6th and 8th. This is first time any Iowa team has ever garnered a first place trophy at the world level competition.
- At the Iowa Educational Media Association State Photography Contest Maharishi School students won 15 awards, of which seven were first places.
- A Maharishi Middle School student placed second in the PIEA International Student-Teacher Photo Exhibition and Competition, a national competition in which 105 schools participate.
- At the Southeast Iowa Superconference Art Show, Maharishi School students won a total of eight art awards including two first places.
- In the Manningham Poetry Trust Awards national contest a Maharishi School student placed 4th nationally.
- Maharishi School made Iowa tennis history by completing back-to-back Triple Crown sweeps, winning the singles, doubles, and team boys state tennis titles in two consecutive seasons. A Maharishi School sophomore won third place in the girls State
- Our Boys Varsity Basketball team had the best season in our School¹s history. They finished the season with a record of 23-2. The team was ranked 5th in the state in Class 2A and won both their conference (12-0) and the district championship.
- In track and field a Maharishi School student won the 800 meters at state setting a new Class 1-A record.
- Maharishi School girls varsity volleyball team won the prestigious Danville volleyball tournament.
- Three teams of Maharishi School students placed in the top 10 at the World Finals of Destination Imagination (Odyssey of the Mind). The students took 2nd, 4th, and 8th place in the World. This is the best any Iowa team has ever done at the World
- At the junior division of the Eastern Iowa Science and Engineering Fair of the 20 students that entered the competition 20 got awards.
- Out of a total of 15 first place awards, Maharishi School took 9 of them. Maharishi School students were very noticeable in their school uniform as they were called one after another as prize winners.
- First Place at the Eastern Iowa Science and Engineering Fair, Senior Division. This student’s project proved there was a flaw in the paper backed insulation used in power plants. She went on to compete at the Internationally Science and Engineering
Fair in Detroit.
- An Upper School student, placed first in the Individual Documentary category at the State History Fair. Her ten minute video documentary entitled “Title IX: Turning Point for Women in Sports and Society” also won a cash award from the Iowa Federation
of Women¹s Clubs in recognition of its contribution to the study of Women¹s History.
- The senior class has started an organization called End School violence Now. This student group is promoting the introduction of the Transcendental Meditation program into schools around the country as the only proven solution to the problem of
mounting school violence which has shocked the nation in the past year. This group is achieving great things across the country. They have made a video tape and have presented at several conferences including in Littleton, Colorado, the Ford Hall
Forum in Boston, and in San Diego.
- A Maharishi School student was chosen as a Millennium Dreamers Ambassador for his outstanding contribution to the community for helping to establish an End School Violence Now chapter in the Middle School. He won a trip to Disney World in Orlando.
- Out of a senior class of 41 students, eleven have been recognized by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. Four students were named National Merit Commended Scholars and seven were named National Merit Scholar Finalists.
- Three Destination Imagination (Odyssey of the Mind) teams have qualified for the World finals.
- This Fall all the classes in the Upper School scored in the 99th percentile in the Iowa Test of Educational Development. This is the 5th year in a row that this has been achieved.
- In the PSAT (Preliminary SAT) six 11th grade students scored in the 99th percentile, which qualifies them to be considered for National Merit Scholarships. One student has been named a National Merit Scholar.
- At the Iowa State Academic Decathlon, Maharishi School student received a perfect score of 1000 points to win first place in the state with a speech on “Single Gender Education.”
- For the fourth year in a row, Maharishi Upper School’s Math team placed 1st in their division in Iowa in the American High School Math Exam (AHSME).
- First place, Southeast Iowa Super Conference Academic Bowl.
- Maharishi School student named the Iowa Junior Chess Champion for the second time.
- First place, Eastern Iowa Science and Engineering Fair, Junior Division, for the third year in a row.
- For the fourth year in a row, Grades 9Ð12 scored in the 99th percentile in the Iowa Tests of Educational Development, both nationally and in Iowa.
- The 9th grade class scored the same as the average 12th grade class in Iowa. In the American Junior High School Mathematics Exam, an eighth grader placed first in Iowa. Out of almost a quarter of a million students who took this exam from around
the world, only 17 achieved a higher score.
- In the American High School Math Exam (AHSME), Maharishi School has been the state champion for the past two years. Our students again placed first this year setting a new school team record. AHSME is the most prestigious math competition in the
- At the Odyssey of the Mind state finals, our eleventh grade team finished in first place and took 6th place at the World Finals in Orlando, Florida.
- Second place (alternate place) on the state level at the National History Fair with the exhibit titled “Jacques Cousteau, Pioneer of the Sea.”
- At the Eastern Iowa Science and Engineering Fair, Maharishi School students won three of four 1st place medals in the Junior Biological Division and won the grand prize for the most outstanding project.
- State Championship Odyssey of the Mind Team Ranked #1 in Iowa in class 2A American High School Mathematics Exam.
- Two upper school students were named National Merit Scholars.
- First place in the Junior Physical Science Division of the Eastern Iowa Science and Engineering Fair.
- The Odyssey of the Mind Team was selected to represent the United States at the First Latin American Showcase in Curacao.
- For the second year in a row, grades 9-12 scored in the 99th percentile in the Iowa Tests of Educational Development — both nationally and in Iowa.
- Grade 8 scored in the 99th percentile in the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills—both nationally and in Iowa.
- First place in the senior division of the Iowa State History Fair Group Media Competition for the second year in a row.
- First place was won by two 7th grade teams in the Iowa Odyssey of the Mind competition, qualifying the School to represent Iowa at the World Finals for the third year in a row.
- Winner of the Iowa State Spelling Bee for the 7th and 8th grade for the second year in a row.
- Ranked #1 in Iowa Class 1A in the American High School Mathematics Exam.
- First place in Iowa in the American Junior High School Mathematics Exam.
- Grades 9-12 scored in the 99th percentile in the Iowa Tests of Educational Development — both nationally and in Iowa.
- First place in the Iowa State History Fair Group Media Competition senior division. At the National History Fair, the project was named the outstanding project among senior division entrants from Iowa.
- First Place in the Iowa Poetry Association’s High School Contest.
- Winner of the State “Young Poet of the Year” award.
- Winner of the State “Young Writer of the Year” award.
- First place was won by an 8th grade team in the Iowa Odyssey of the Mind state competition.
- Winner of the Iowa State Spelling Bee for the 7th and 8th grades.
- First place in the senior Biological Division at the Southeast Iowa Science and Engineering Fair, and third place in the Medicine and Health category at the International Science and Engineering Fair in Birmingham, Alabama for a project titled,
“Cigarette Smoke Damage to DNA: Protection by Maharishi Amrit Kalash and Other Anti-Oxidants.” Also the V.O. Hasek Award for the Senior Biological Division — the Outstanding Award Certificate by the U.S. Public Health Service for research illustrating
the Surgeon General’s call for a smoke-free society by the year 2000.
- First place at the Iowa State Geography and History Fair for a project entitled “The Impact of Mogul Migration on India’s Political Geography.”
- Two Lower School teams and one Middle School team won first place in the 1994 Odyssey of the Mind state competition, and went on to the World Competition where the Middle School team placed third out of 62 teams. At the state level, Maharishi School
won the highest number of first place awards of any school, with three out of a total of 13 first places. The School’s winning 7th grade team received the prestigious Ranatra Fusca award for outstanding creativity. The Odyssey of the Mind competition,
sponsored by IBM, combines creativity, decision making, and teamwork in problem-solving assignments.
- An Upper School student was named a National Merit scholar finalist. Winners of State Science Fair Awards
- First place in the junior Biological Sciences Section at the Eastern Iowa Science and Engineering Fair.
- First place in the written competition in the Physical Sciences Section at the Eastern Iowa Science and Engineering Fair.
- An Upper School student won the Yale Engineering Association Award at the state science fair.
- An Upper School student was named a National Merit Scholar. Three Upper School students were named State of Iowa Scholars.
- An Upper School student won first place in the Senior Biological Sciences Division at the Eastern Iowa Science and Engineering Fair for her project on cell metabolism measuring the effects of Maharishi Amrit Kalash on electron transport chain activity
in plant mitochondria. She went on to win third place at the International Science and Engineering Fair in Nashville, Tennessee.
- First place was won at the State History Fair in the individual projects category, and two students won first place in the Group Media category.
- Three Upper School students were named National Merit Scholars, a fourth was named a National Merit semi-finalist, and one was a Presidential Scholar semi-finalist.
- Maharishi School students won a total of 36 awards at the Iowa Science Fairs. A Maharishi School student’s project on launching space vehicles using atmospheric buoyancy won first place in the papers competition at the Hawkeye State Science Fair.
- A Maharishi School junior won first prize at the Hawkeye Science Fair in Des Moines with a project “Can Certain Antioxidants Aid the Growth of Beneficial Bacteria in Free-Radical Producing Environments?” and went on to attend the International Science
and Engineering Fair in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- One of the School’s science teachers received a $2,500 Tandy Scholars Award, given annually to 100 science, math, and computer science teachers in the United States.
- Three Maharishi School students placed second in the State History Fair competition, and became the first Maharishi School students to represent Iowa at the National History Fair.
- First place in the Senior Physical Sciences Division at the Eastern Iowa Science and Engineering Fair for the project “A Comparison of Wing-tip Anti-vortex Devices,” and later represented Iowa at the International Science and Engineering Fair in
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, receiving an Honorable Mention.
- First place was won in the Biological Division at the Eastern Iowa Science and Engineering Fair for a project “Inhibition of Cancer Cell Growth through Herbal Preparations.” The project also later placed in the International Science and Engineering
Fair in Knoxville, Tennessee.
- Two Maharishi School students were named National Merit Scholars from 15,000 semi-finalists nationwide. Another student was a National Merit semi-finalist. Two students were named State of Iowa Scholars for their exceptional test scores. Two other
students were named Iowa Math and Science Scholars.
- At the Hawkeye State Science Fair, an Upper School student received first place in the Biological Division with a project on “Herbal Exogenous Biological Response Modifiers: A New Approach to Cancer Therapy.” Another student received first place
in the Physical Sciences Division with “Universal Symbolic Language for Artificial Intelligence.” Both attended the International Science Fair in Puerto Rico, where one of the students won third place.
- First place in the Iowa Scholastic Poetry Competition.
- First place in the papers competition at the Iowa Academy of Science.
- An Upper School student won first place in the Eastern Iowa Science and Engineering Fair, with a project entitled “The Role of Beta-Adrenergic Receptors in Leukemia,” and later attended the International Science and Engineering Fair in Fort Worth,