|Sarah Sica, the first Pioneer ever to play in the Girls'
State Golf tournament, finished 13th out of 47 girls playing in
Class 1A. She shot solid rounds of 88-84 for a 172, 25 strokes behind
individual champion, Christi Athas of Eldora-New Providence.
Sica double-bogeyed the first two holes on Tuesday, but regrouped the rest of the way to shoot consecutive 44's. She was in a 3-way tie for 13th after the first day, but edged out the two others on the second day with a 41-43 = 84, finishing just four strokes out of the top ten.
Sarah played smart and stayed out of trouble both days, playing it pretty much straight down the middle. Her consistency paid off with no score over a 6 on any hole.
Her performance at state set a new precedent for Maharishi School Girls Golf, and the Pioneers hope to make the state meet a regular stop every season.
The Pioneers accomplishments this year include:
• A 5-0 Super Conference dual record.
• A 10-5 overall dual record.
• A 29-6 overall record.
• The Super Conference division regular season Champion.
• The Super Conference division tournament Champion.
• The State District Champion.
• The State Regional Runner-up.
• The State 13th Place Individual.